Are you looking to improve the look of your smile? Have you thought about Teeth Whitening but did not know much about where to start or how it works? If you answered Yes, then this blog post is for you.
Did You Know
- The whiteness of your teeth is affected by the food and drinks you intake. Specifically tea, coffee and red wine. Those three could change the colour of your teeth over time and of course, if you smoke, then there is a big chance your teeth’s colour will change.
- If teeth are not brushed regularly to remove surface bacteria or plaque, it stiffens and forms calculus or tartar which is usually yellow or brown in colour. The tartar forms in between teeth and as a result changes the colour of your teeth.
- Your teeth could also have stains underneath the surface due to heavy medications or antibiotics.
- Teeth whitening can only remove the stains that have formed over time. However, if teeth are genetically or naturally coloured a bit darker than white, then teeth whitening products are not for you.
- But don’t worry, you can still go for professional bleaching. Bleaching is the most common solution for naturally dark teeth. It’s normally made of Hydrogen Peroxide. The oxygen goes through the enamel on the teeth and that will lighten up the colour of your teeth. Your Teeth Whitening Epping Dentist will be able to talk to you and find out the best option for your teeth.
- Usually, the effects of whitening can last up to 3 years. Yet, it’s still different from one person to the other. A person who drinks a lot of coffee, for instance, will be at more risk of losing the effects of the whitening than a person who watches what they eat or drink.
- Teeth whitening is not a solution for deep stains.
- Regulate your food intake and quit smoking this will for sure have a great positive impact on your teeth.
How to Take Care of your Teeth after Teeth Whitening
You need to avoid certain foods.
After paying money to get your teeth whitened, the last thing you would want is for it to change colour again. Therefore, the 48 hours following whitening your teeth are crucial.
At least for the first 48 hours following whitening your teeth, avoid these foods for best results:
- Tea and Coffee
- Coloured Sauces: Red Pasta, Tomato Sauce, Soy Sauce, Curry or Barbecue Sauce
- Fruit Juices
- Dark Chocolates
- Citrus type foods such as lemons and oranges.
Think of your teeth during that time similar to a white t-shirt that you do not want to stain. If drinks like coffee are an integral part of your routine, we advise you to sip through a straw to avoid the liquids from coming into contact with your teeth.
Then what foods can I consume after the treatment?
- White Vegetables
- White Meats
- Non-citric fruits
Essentially, avoid any coloured food and drink.
Tips on long-term care for your teeth.
- Brush your teeth regularly and at least twice a day
- Floss once a day
- Clean your mouth with disinfectant mouthwash once a day
- Try using a whitening toothpaste once or twice a week. It can be used as a touch-up that could possibly remove stains built up over time.
Other than these tips, we recommend you get a touch-up treatment every 6 months by a professional orthodontist. Also, ensure you make visiting the dentist regularly a habit.
At our Epping Dental Care, we make sure we provide our patients with the best services possible. Your Teeth Whitening Epping Dentist will make sure you are comfortable and well informed about the treatment. So don’t worry if you have any questions or are fearful of the treatment because you are in safe hands.
Call Us today to book an appointment with you Epping Orthodontist at 9401 2120.